unwanted sharing of favorites between members of the same computer

6 months 3 weeks ago #1 by Hervé
Hello

Sorry to come back to you but I have a little worry with myShortlist !
I log in with different accounts / browser. I just noticed that after creating a new account for a test member, I immediately recovered (without doing anything) the favorites of another account.
I think the storage had to be done via cookie!
Is it possible to store favorites via the member ID?
Regards

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

6 months 3 weeks ago #2 by Christopher Mavros
Hello Hervé and thank you for posting!

MyShortlist is available by default for both visitors and logged-in users of the site.
When you have a visitor, they may add certain items to their favorites. Then, after having a list, they may register or log-in. The expected behavior would be to maintain all favorites by directly copying all favorite items from the cookie to the database, so that the visitor (now as a logged-in user) continues to have access to his/her lists.

If you only want your logged-in users to have favorite lists, you may choose so in the module options. You may also enable the "Please login first" message, from the Additional Functionalities option tab.

Inevitably, when testing your site with different users from the same computer and keeping the cookie option enabled, there will be some copying between lists. The vast majority of your users will not log-in from the same computer. If you have any ideas, feel free to share.
Thanks again.

Christopher Mavros
mavrosxristoforos@gmail.com
Serving the Joomla! community with extensions since 2008.

6 months 3 weeks ago #3 by Hervé
Hi Christopher,
Thanks for the quick response
By putting "Please login first" message, it does not change anything, but ok I understand
You are right it is a very special case and not very important.
maybe keep it in mind if it is possible to store the favorites according to the "id" of the connected member
Happy New Year
Regards

6 months 2 weeks ago #4 by Christopher Mavros
Hi again Hervé.
The favorites are stored by the ID of the member. However, when the visitor is not logged-in, the system cannot know which member it is, until they log-in or sign up. When they do log-in, the favorites are copied to the corresponding member, now including their ID.

If they log out, the system goes back to the ambiguous situation that we have a cookie with favorites, but we don't know to whom it belongs.
We have chosen not to clear their cookie when they log out, because they may still use the site and edit their favorites and log-in again. This way, we maintain a flawless experience to the visitor.

In the rare case that a visitor logs in again but this time to a different account, the expected behavior would be to still keep their favorites, since now they may want to do something with those favorites as a logged-in user of the site.

Again, any suggestion is welcome.
Thanks again.

Christopher Mavros
mavrosxristoforos@gmail.com
Serving the Joomla! community with extensions since 2008.

Moderators: Christopher Mavros