add an informational message: "this event has been removed, please delete ...

5 months 6 days ago #1 by Hervé
Hello
When an event has been deleted (dpcalendar) It displays an error message.
If you can not automate deleting favorites, can you at least add an informational message:
"this event has been removed, please delete this favorite"

Regards

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 6 days ago #2 by Christopher Mavros
Hello Hervé! Thank you for posting here.

Would you prefer having those items automatically deleted from favorites, or just not displayed?
I will send this post to another client that also asked about this, so that we can discuss and take a final decision on what to do with old favorites.

Thanks again.

Christopher Mavros
mavrosxristoforos@gmail.com
Serving the Joomla! community with extensions since 2008.

5 months 6 days ago #3 by Hervé
Hello Christopher,
Thank you for your quick reply
Of course, automatic deletion is preferable because there is no point asking for additional action from a member (especially since there may be multiple favorites deleted)
regards
Hervé

5 months 6 days ago #4 by Christopher Mavros
The only thing I am worried about, is that the only way we know that an item is no longer available is that the database query fails. I am just not sure how reliable is this, but we can certainly try. The good thing about this approach is that it auto-cleans the saved lists.

Another suggested solution, is to hide those items from the front-end (and not show the Could not load error) and give an option to clear such favorites from the back-end or from a command line prompt, but that only works for lists saved in the database, and not for cookies. This approach is faster for the front-end and won't need to run multiple clear-related queries if items are not found.

Any ideas are welcome.

Christopher Mavros

5 months 6 days ago #5 by Hervé
Hi again,
I suspected it was not easy. From memory, I use cookies instead of the database.

I do not remember the advantages / disadvantages of this method ??

But I dont understand. Anyway, there is one error message per line, is it possible to intercept this error to trigger the storage of a favorite to delete. This could be done by a cron every 24h!
Regards

5 months 6 days ago #6 by Christopher Mavros
Cookies are used for guests, because they do not have a User ID in the database, to correlate their saved lists with.
The database is usually used with logged-in users.

If the list is in the database, we can use cron to clear it. If not, the information is not on our server, but rather, on the client computer. And cleaning up, may slow down the loading process.

Christopher Mavros

Moderators: Christopher Mavros