add an informational message: "this event has been removed, please delete ...

1 month 3 days ago #7 by Hervé
I actually use 2 (cookies and db) but it might suit me that only connected members can use the favorites if it can simplify the management of favorites
Would it be possible to set the extension so that the buttons of myShortList do not appear for visitors?
For displaying modules, no problem because it is accessible only to connected members

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 month 3 days ago #8 by Serge
Hello Christopher and Hervé !
I totally agree with Hervé regarding "Anyway, there is one error message per line, is it possible to intercept this error to trigger the storage of a favorite to delete. This could be done by a cron every 24h!"
My point of view is
1) as Joomla and server admin - I first need to worry about "self-cleaning" of MY DATABASE from "expired, deleted etc" items.

2) my philosophy is "if a shortlisted item has gone - it's gone"...and must be deleted from database. This is the first priority.
Storage in user's cookies is outside our control, but we have to "clean" our own database.
I don't see any reason for "informative messages for users". Just an extra loading for server/site.
Again - "if a shortlisted item has gone - it's gone"...
In real life - most if users will not be sitting and deleting "expired or removed" bookmarks.

3) and not only that. !Sometimes a user just delete his account - so why to keep his bookmarks ? we should clean them too...

4) CRON is the best solution...I mean a file under Joomla /cli folder just to run by CRON (as per server admin settings, every 24h, 12 h, once a week etc) - to clear from database all records where "An error occured..." PLUS delete all records for a user if a user has gone and deleted his account.
I just have to note than not every Joomla admin is a server admin...so many Joomla admins would prefer to have a "Self-Clean" button at admin backend to perform the same "cleaning" .
IMHO, it would be ideally to have BOTH solutions - /cli script for Cron and button too...

Have a nice day !

1 month 3 days ago #9 by Hervé
Hello Christopher and Serge,

I will also be able to remove information from the members who left

Regards

This message has an attachment image.
Please log in or register to see it.

1 month 2 days ago #10 by Serge
It would be excellent :) waiting for your next version (or beta) to test !

2 weeks 6 days ago #11 by MIrko
Hello sorry don't know the state of the feature, but, for me, it be great, if user add the article to Favorites and if admin disable, temporary, article, in Favorite list user, have listed article with the title but, example, grey and if is possible, with some custom message like"article is temporarily unavailable" you can delete it or leave it in the list.
That will be my need
Thank you and have a nice day

2 weeks 6 days ago #12 by Serge
Hello MIrco, let me say your idea is a little abstract for common use...although you honestly said "That will be my need"...
I'm server admin and Joomla admin - for last 10 years I did not meet a situation to "temporary disable an article", then enable it back and play with the users coquettishly :lol: using this way.
This is something very specific ;) as well as mark MyShortlist link to disabled article in a "grey" color.
There are only the following MySQL states for articles - 0 = unpublished, 1 = published, -1 = archived, -2 = marked for deletion.
So how we could know about an article ? - is it TEMPORARY disabled or FOREVER disabled ?

Usually if an article exists - it means a content of this article is still actual.
If content is outdated - or an event/announce has expired - an article is deleted to keep database clean.
So here we discuss an improvement for MyShortlist to automatically clean it's database accordingly from expired articles or other shortlisted items.
Have a nice day to everyone !
Serge

Moderators: Christopher Mavros