Newsletter sent twice

2 years 8 months ago #1 by Casper
Newsletter sent twice was created by Casper
Today I sent a newsletter to 3300 subsriptions. All recepients received two copies. According to the ns statistics only 3300 emails were sent. My smtp provider shows 6600. I received a lot of unsubscriptions, because subscribers wanted to subscribe for one newsletter subscription, but by that they subscripted finally. I use ns.pro version 2.4.749.
Is this a know issue?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 years 8 months ago #2 by Christopher Mavros
Replied by Christopher Mavros on topic Newsletter sent twice
Hello Casper and thank you for posting.
I'm sorry to hear that you faced such an issue.

However, We have never faced such an issue with NS Pro, and NS Pro is specifically designed to avoid sending even a single duplicate. Do you use the cron job key scheduling functionality, or did you send all 3300 newsletters at a single go?

Especially if you're using our scheduling functionality, there's no way that this could ever occur.
I can only think of an issue at some point beyond NS Pro, possibly with your man server or something like that. NS Pro cannot send to a single subscriber twice, unless you clear the newsletter sending status and re-send it.

The first thing I would do, would be to create a test list with myself and a couple of other friends' emails, and send a new test newsletter to see if I get it twice.

I would also ask my host, to see if they have faced such an issue again, and what could have caused it.

Please let us know if you find any clue on what caused this to happen.
Thanks again.

Christopher Mavros
mavrosxristoforos@gmail.com
If you like our extensions, please rate us on the JED!

2 years 8 months ago #3 by Casper
Replied by Casper on topic Newsletter sent twice
I did the test and it gave no double sent.
The only thing I can think of is that when I run the send, after a while my server gives a time-out error. It can be that I refreshed the page and because of that the job has started again.
I have "emails at send" set to 0, because otherwise I have to push send every time. If I put it on 0, the page error appears, but the sending continues in the background.
The error_report.txt file is empty.
Server time-out =300 sec.
Any advice on how to set this "emails at send" value? The manual is not clear to me.
Kind regards

2 years 8 months ago #4 by Christopher Mavros
Hi again Casper.

Even if you refresh the NS Pro Sending page, the newsletters should not be sent twice.
During the sending process, the script checks if the newsletter is sent to this subscriber, right before sending it, and logs the sending right after sending to each subscriber.

Theoretically, you should not send all your newsletters in a single blast. It's not good for your spam score, either. Usually servers have a limit of 500 emails per hour. Setting your emails per send to 240 (per half hour) would mean that 3300 subscribers will be completed in 7 hours.
To avoid manually logging in every 30 minutes to continue the sending process, you can just get a cron job key and add it in the NS Pro Component Options (in the Advanced tab) and then schedule your newsletters for sending. If you want sending to start immediately, you can even schedule them in a past date.

This way, your server won't time out and the process will be nicely monitored.
Let me know if I can do anything to help more.

Christopher Mavros

2 years 7 months ago #5 by Casper
Replied by Casper on topic Newsletter sent twice
I have to leave you!
Now my newsletter was sent 3x! Spent all of my monthly smtp budget.
I don't want to waste any time on this anymore.
Thanks for you efforts.

2 years 7 months ago #6 by Christopher Mavros
I understand your frustration Casper, but NS Pro has been used by thousands of admins and we have never ever faced such an issue.
I cannot believe that it is originated in NS Pro.

However, I would suggest, if you can be a little more patient with us, that you wait for the update that we are about to release within a few days. It will include many new features around the sending process and a lot of action logging, that will help us find out exactly what's going on.

After all, you may face the same issue with any newsletter software if this has something to do with your server.

It's up to you.
Thanks again.

Christopher Mavros

Moderators: Christopher Mavros