How does 'Sending Interval' and 'Action After Sending' work?

1 year 3 months ago #1 by Chris Paschen
I see that the Newsletter | Sending Details includes both a 'Sending Interval' and 'Action After Sending' and I'm not finding any documentation on how those are supposed to work.

Could you point me to where I might find an explanation on the use of those?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 year 3 months ago - 1 year 3 months ago #2 by Christopher Mavros
Replied by Christopher Mavros on topic How does 'Sending Interval' and 'Action After Sending' work?
Hi again Chris and thank you for posting.

When creating a newsletter that is scheduled as a "Regular Newsletter", a Sending Interval and an Action after Sending option appears. Here's what they do:

Sending Interval
Using this option, you can set an amount of days, an interval, after which this same newsletter will be re-sent to all subscribers. This is particularly useful when including dynamic content in your newsletters, like modules or smart texts, in order to send a newsletter with new content on a regular basis.

Action after Sending
This parameter has two options: You can either Create Duplicate Newsletter and Schedule it or Re-Schedule this Newsletter in which case, your sending status is cleared.
To explain this functionality, it is important to explain something else about NS Pro first.

Explaining how NS Pro sends newsletters
When sending a newsletter with NS Pro, the newsletter model automatically keeps track of the last subscriber ID that the newsletter was successfully sent to. This means that NS Pro cannot ever send a newsletter twice to the same email, unless you "clear its sending status". The sending status indicates the last subscriber ID, as well as whether sending has finished or not.

When you click Send, NS Pro will send a specific amount of emails, set by the option "Emails Per Send". If it encounters an error, or if it successfully sends this amount of emails, it stops sending. Then, either manually or automatically using the Cron job functionality, sending is resumed exactly from where it stopped. Even after the newsletter is sent to all subscribers, the last ID remains in the database, so that you can even click "Send" after some time and send the same newsletter to new subscribers (that is, subscribers who have subscribed after sending finished).
After a newsletter is successfully sent, you can access its recipients' list from the newsletter manager.

Keeping all this in mind, the "Action After Sending" option controls a simple thing. As I wrote, when the newsletter finishes sending, it cannot be re-sent to the same subscribers. So, it either has to have its sending status cleared, or create a duplicate and schedule that instead.

Example A:
Newsletter with ID 1 is scheduled as a regular newsletter with an interval of 7 days and "Action After Sending" is set to "Create Duplicate Newsletter and Schedule it".
Newsletter 1 is sent on June 26th. A week later, another newsletter, automatically copied, but with ID 2 is sent. Until the end of July, you have 5 newsletters in your newsletter manager, each with its own recipient statistics.

Example B:
Newsletter with ID 1 is scheduled as a regular newsletter with an interval of 7 days, but "Action After Sending" is set to "Re-Schedule this Newsletter". It is sent on June 26th. When it finishes, its sending status is cleared, and it is re-scheduled to send in 7 days. At the end of July, you still only have 1 newsletter and no information on how many recipients received it or opened it.

Hope this helps!

Christopher Mavros
mavrosxristoforos@gmail.com
If you like our extensions, please rate us on the JED!

1 year 3 months ago #3 by Chris Paschen
VERY helpful. Thanks.

But now I have to decide WHICH one to use. :-)

1 year 3 months ago #4 by Christopher Mavros
Replied by Christopher Mavros on topic How does 'Sending Interval' and 'Action After Sending' work?
Right... To help you out, it's merely a matter of whether you want statistics or not. If you don't really need them, you are better off having a single newsletter in your manager.

Thanks again!

Christopher Mavros
mavrosxristoforos@gmail.com
If you like our extensions, please rate us on the JED!

Moderators: Christopher Mavros