Form Fields Functional Question

3 years 3 months ago #1 by REBECCA
Form Fields Functional Question was created by REBECCA
Hi Christopher,

Not sure if this is achievable with the current Rapid Contact Ex but is it possible to have create a dropdown field that when a value of that field is selected, it will show another field or fields.

For example, I'm creating an event form that has a drop down box field labeled "Number of Attendees". The values to select are 1 thru 20. If someone selects "2" I'd like to have 2 additional text fields appear for entering their name. If someone selects 5 in the Number of Attendees, 5 additional name fields appear. If not possible, is this something I can request as a future feature? Thanks again for the great support and service.

-Rebecca M.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 months 1 week ago #2 by Richard Horobin
Replied by Richard Horobin on topic Form Fields Functional Question
I offer this explanation because 1. I like writing user documentation. 2. Over 150 people looked at the question, but there was no answer. 3. I used this functionality, and found I needed some help to make it work.

Rapid Contact EX calls this a "Field Group". It works exactly as you describe. I used it to register individual members of a household.
In Rapid Contact "Field Definitions", do:
1. Create each field within the repeating part of the data. In your case you could call it attendee-name. In mine, one field was joining-given-name and the other was joining-surname. Do Not mark the fields "Published", as that will confuse both the software and the user.
2. Create the field that names the whole Field Group, and which also specifies the maximum number of repeats, and the constituent fields. (picture below). In your case, you could call it attendees-list. In mine, it was joining-09-household-or-sole. 
...The field type is "Field Group Creator".
...Dropdown values are as you expect.
...Field IDs come from the ID column of the list of fields you've created earlier in Rapid Contact Ex.

3. When creating the Menu Item or the Module, specify the name of the Field Group. No need to specify its constituent fields.

This message has attachments images.
Please log in or register to see it.

4 months 1 week ago #3 by Christopher Mavros
Replied by Christopher Mavros on topic Form Fields Functional Question
Thank you for this answer Richard. It is very well written, and warmly welcomed.
I don't know how I missed this question!

Feel free to post whatever you think a user might want to find, or let me know how I can improve the existing documentation.
It is all very much appreciated.

Christopher Mavros
mavrosxristoforos@gmail.com
If you like our extensions, please rate us on the JED!

Moderators: Christopher Mavros