Blocking keywords in spam mail

2 months 3 weeks ago #1 by Terence James
Blocking keywords in spam mail was created by Terence James
Since the war on Ukraine started, I've noticed an increase in Russian spam mail. Is there a way to block keywords?
Will a separate extension work to do this in combination with Rapid Contact Ex?
Also, website addresses are being included in spam mails, is the block html function supposed to exclude these, or did I not understand this function?

I've included a hidden field to catch IP addresses, as suggested in another thread, but blocking spammers before they send anything would be preferable.

Thanks!
Terry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 2 weeks ago #2 by Christopher Mavros
Replied by Christopher Mavros on topic Blocking keywords in spam mail
Hello Terence and thank you for posting.

Others have noticed that similar increase in spam, too.
I can see how the "Allow HTML" global parameter could be misunderstood. This parameter actually means whether or not to send messages in HTML or not (whether to allow the inclusion of Rapid Contact Ex HTML around the posted values or not). There's currently no filter to block keywords or IPs. Do you think that this would help? I've seen spam emails with spaces in keywords or words without spaces in order to avoid such filters.
One other customer saw a drop in spam emails by changing the captcha and not using ReCaptcha.
Would you like to try that, maybe?

Christopher Mavros
mavrosxristoforos@gmail.com
If you like our extensions, please rate us on the JED!

2 months 2 weeks ago #3 by Terence James
Replied by Terence James on topic Blocking keywords in spam mail
Thanks Christopher
Another contact extension I used for previous versions of Joomla (3 and below) had the feature to block words - by default a number of swear words were blocked, but you could make a custom list. It was a really good feature, and made it easy to block a lot of spam. I hope you could add it to Rapid Contact. For example, you could add "www" to the list, which effectively blocked anyone sending most active links, or in the case of some spam I'm currently getting, I could add the name of the crypto currency they are peddling.
I've implemented the IP address hidden field solution, but I notice the same spam messages are coming from different IPs so it is not going to be an effective solution. I'm not a developer ar all, but I hope that the feature I'm suggesting is not hard to add, as Rapid Contact is serving me well!

2 months 4 days ago #4 by Christopher Mavros
Replied by Christopher Mavros on topic Blocking keywords in spam mail
Thank you for your suggestion Terence.
It is indeed a good idea.

Due to the large amount of incoming work, I cannot guarantee the implementation of this feature.
If you'd like to discuss on a possible feature implementation on demand, feel free to send me an email.
Otherwise, I have noted this down and will do my best.

Thanks again.

Christopher Mavros
mavrosxristoforos@gmail.com
If you like our extensions, please rate us on the JED!

Moderators: Christopher Mavros