Timer starts over

3 weeks 5 days ago - 3 weeks 3 days ago #1 by Ben van Wetten
Hi Christopher,
I used a 'timer' on a quiz. I have set it to 90 minutes.
When a candidate starts his quiz, the timer shows in the top-right position.

It nicely counts down, but when I use a 'refresh' on the browser (F5 button), the timer resets to the start value again of 90 minutes, which is not what I would like to see.
The timer should start and count down to 'zero' and then close the window.

Is there a way to change this behaviour?
Thanks for your time,
Ben

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 weeks 1 day ago #2 by Christopher Mavros
Hello Ben and thank you for posting.

What you describe is normal functionality. When a user hits the F5 button, the page reloads. So all of his previous answers are cleared.
I understand that someone could exploit this by reading all questions and re-taking the quiz more quickly, but in SimpleQuiz, that doesn't affect the scoring at all.

Recently we discussed a similar issue with another user, and we concluded that adding a live ajax selection saving functionality would make things quite complicated, especially if you think about how many different quizzes one can make with SimpleQuiz.

Assuming that you have a very large quiz (since it requires 90 minutes to complete), it would take a large amount of time for a user just to read the questions, so even if they refresh and know the answers, it still takes quite some time to review all the question and remember the correct answer.

Thoughts?

Christopher Mavros
mavrosxristoforos@gmail.com
Serving the Joomla! community with extensions since 2008.

2 weeks 1 day ago #3 by Ben van Wetten
Hello Christopher,

Thanks for your reply. I can agree, that most probably the only way to make my request function, is to add scripting. And that solution would of course also 'complicate' a 'simple' quiz.

So I will have to live with that...
Your last remark is true, so even if timing restarts, it is still an ordeal to work alle the way through again after a 'refresh'. In this sense that would be no profit for a candidate.

Thanks for your time and effort,
...and for the good work,
Kind regards,
Ben

2 weeks 13 hours ago #4 by Christopher Mavros
Thank you too Ben for your penetrating view into SimpleQuiz!
I appreciate all your feedback.

Christopher Mavros
mavrosxristoforos@gmail.com
Serving the Joomla! community with extensions since 2008.

Moderators: Christopher Mavros